Viewing the Status of Hard Disk Drives and Connected Storage Devices
To view the status of hard disk drives and other connected storage devices:
- Go to Extensions > Watchdog > the Disks tab.
- View all connected (mounted) devices listed.
Note: Watchdog might not detect properly some mounted devices.
An icon in the S (status) column shows whether a hard disk partition or storage device is currently monitored by Watchdog and it indicates the current disk space usage rate:
- - the disk drive or partition is not currently monitored.
- - you started monitoring but the disk or partition has not yet been checked.
- - the disk drive or partition is monitored and Watchdog reports that disk space usage has not reached the threshold you defined.
- - the disk drive or partition is monitored and Watchdog reports that disk space usage has reached the threshold you defined and soon there will be no free space left on that disk or partition.
An icon in the M (monitoring) column shows whether you set Watchdog to monitor disk space usage on a storage device or disk partition:
- - you did not set Watchdog to monitor the disk space or partition.
- - you set Watchdog to monitor the disk space or partition.
The Device and Mount point columns show information on storage device and the partition mount point. The Mount point column shows hyphen (-) if a partition is no longer connected to the file system: when the partition is reconnected to the system, Watchdog will resume monitoring it.
The Disk space usage rate column shows the amount of disk space that can be used without drawing your attention. You can specify the amount of disk space either in percentage from total amount or in measurement units: gigabytes, megabytes or kilobytes. When the specified amount is reached, Watchdog will notify you and run the command you defined. A hyphen (-) in this column shows that the partition or device is not monitored.
The Files number rate column shows the amount of files or directories that can be stored on the file system without drawing your attention. The number of files or directories is limited not only by disk space, but also by the file system capacity. You can specify either the exact number of files and directories (if you know it) or a percent from the total amount. Watchdog will notify you when the specified amount is reached. A hyphen (-) in this column shows that the partition or device is not monitored.
The Command column shows the command that Watchdog will run when the disk space threshold is reached.