What's New in Plesk Obsidian
Composer (Dependency Manager for PHP) support, v2.0 Partially
Use PHP Composer without SSH access.
Execute most useful Composer actions via the UI even with no SSH access.
- Set up environment variables
- Edit your composer.json
- Run the Install and Update commands
Install and update dependencies with one click.
No need to remember the commands and options you have to run to install dependencies, generate classmap, or execute tests. Plesk takes care of it with a click of a button. Coming soon: No more headaches with partially updated dependencies breaking your production website. Perform a test run before the execution to make sure the dependencies can be installed with no issue.
Review the installed dependencies and decide if updating them makes sense.
Updating dependencies is vital for security but can lead to a broken website. Handy UI indicators clearly show you if updating is likely to cause trouble (major updates are riskier than minor ones). Coming soon: Indicators also show if there are security issues with the installed version.
- Your website will automatically use the PHP version specified in composer.json.
- Composer is run using the correct PHP handler (not the system default, but the one that is used by the particular website).
- Coming soon: Plesk chooses the correct PHP version and handler - just log in via SSH and run the "php" command.
To install PHP Composer, go to Extensions, search for PHP Composer, and then click Get it free.
Advanced Monitoring Partially
Keep informed about server and site availability. Learn about the root cause of issues:
- Replaces the existing HealthMonitoring tool with new Grafana charts.
- Configure alerts that notify server and website owners of issues related to resource consumption (CPU, RAM, Disk IO) via email or push to Plesk mobile app.
- "Advanced" means that it will talk in terms of conversions, not just from technical perspective like CPU, RAM, Disk IO.
- Track server and website availability via email or push notifications to Plesk mobile app.
Move domains between subscriptions Available
Reorganize your business, keep certain sites away from the others for security reasons, or separate staging sites from production ones by moving domains between subscriptions. Plesk administrators, customers, and resellers now have this long-awaited feature. Just make sure that the target subscription has enough resources available!
File Manager UX Improvements Available
Be more productive than ever in File Manager with mass upload and file search.
- Upload and extract RAR, TAR, TAR.GZ, and TGZ archives.
- Search for files by filename (even just a part of the file name is fine) or content.
- Quickly preview image and text files without opening new File Manager screens via the preview pane.
- Save time when searching - File Manager stores your searches and offers to auto-complete when you type.
- Accidentally removed the wrong file or directory via File Manager? Restore it via the File Manager UI even if you do not have a backup.
- If you break your website by changing file permissions or file directory structure, repair it using the Plesk repair functionality via the File Manager UI.
Restriction of server-side operations for Plesk Admins Available
Have a greater degree of control over what operations Plesk users can and cannot perform with the new Restricted Access mode (previously known as 'Custom view'). It can be applied both to the Plesk administrator and additional administrators and allows to fine-tune the following:
- Which server administration tools and settings are available to the administrator when Restricted Mode is enabled (the "Administration Tools" tab) in both Power User view and Service Provider view.
- Which web hosting administration tools and settings are available to the administrator in Power User view when Restricted Mode is enabled (the "Hosting Tools" tab).
- Which services and resources of subscriptions are available to the administrator in Power User view when Restricted Mode is enabled.
This way you can now give your customer administrator access to Plesk instead of reseller or customer access while still controlling access to potentially risky operations like management of updates, reboot, shutdown, and so on.
Repair Kit Available
Automatically detect and resolve issues with Plesk and Plesk services using Repair Kit, a powerful self-repair tool.
- See the list of processes running on the server. Filter the processes related to domains. Kill processes.
- See the total RAM, CPU, and Disk usage of all processes running on the server or of individual processes.
- Find out why MySQL consumes a lot of resources and what domain is to blame with the help of the list of MySQL queries and processes.
- See Network I/O for a process.
SSL It! Available
Keep your server secured at all times with SSL/TLS certificates from the leading and trusted certificate authorities (CAs), such as Let's Encrypt and DigiCert (Symantec, GeoTrust, Thawte, and RapidSSL brands). We plan to add support for more CAs in the future.
Use SSL It! to do all of the following:
- Purchase, install, and renew certificates from various CAs.
- Secure your domain, webmail, the "www" subdomain, and any number of aliases. Clearly see what is secured and what is not.
- Automatically issue, install, and renew Let’s Encrypt certificates for domains secured with invalid certificates (self-signed, expired, or issued by an untrustworthy CA).
- Manage HSTS, OCSP Stapling, and HTTP > HTTPS redirect.
- See the SSL/TLS status of the domain, subdomains, and domain aliases in one place.
- Understand the SSL/TLS status at a glance with the help of a small indicator on the Domain page.
- Use the latest TLS versions and ciphers.
- Get A+ rating from ssllabs.
HTML notifications Available
Improve the user experience and stay in control of your server and websites when you are not logged in to Plesk with HTML-based email notifications.
HTML-formatted messages are easier to read than plain text, and the shared design makes messages more pleasing to the eye and helps them stand out from the rest of the correspondence.
Use the default HTML templates shipped with Plesk or personalize the appearance of your notifications using HTML formatting (bold and italics, headers, numbered and bulleted lists, and so on).
Mail improvements Available
- SNI for mail services: mail for a domain can now be secured with an individual SSL/TLS certificate.
- Mail settings auto-discovery: users' Microsoft Outlook and Thunderbird mail clients can now be automatically configured based on entered emails.
- Mail users now receive email notifications when more than 95% of their mailbox disk space is occupied.
- The Plesk mail server and webmail are now available via HTTPS by default: they are secured with the default SSL/TLS certificate that secures Plesk itself.
- The Plesk administrator can now change passwords of customers, resellers, and additional users by automatically sending them an email with a password reset link.
- Mail users and additional users can now specify an external email address, which will be used to reset the password if they lose access to the primary email address.
More secure, More robust, More useful and Faster out of the box Available
- On systemd based Linux OSes (CentOS7, RHEL 7, Ubuntu 16.04/18.04, and Debian 8/9) crashed Plesk services now restart automatically.
- Several improvements to PHP-FPM and Apache services to make restarting them more reliable.
- Apache graceful restart is now robust enough to set it by default to minimize websites' downtime.
- Reduced the disk space necessary for restoring individual objects from backups stored in remote storage.
- Secured by default: mod_security and fail2ban v0.10 are active out of the box.
- Newly created websites have SEO-friendly HTTP > HTTPS redirect enabled by default.
- PHP engines shipped with Plesk contain popular PHP extensions (sodium, exif, fileinfo, and so on).
- The PageSpeed module is now precompiled with NGINX.
- Plesk entry point was optimized for being used in Clouds (Amazon, Digital Ocean, and so on). Access Plesk via https://<host-name-or-IP> without specifying the TCP port 8443.
New Look & Feel Available
We overhauled the Plesk UI to modernize it and address several UX issues reported by interviewed users. Plesk interface is now visually similar to plesk.com. We paid special attention to the appearance and behavior of individual Plesk elements, streamlined colors and font sizes, and aligned all elements to grid. And it's just the beginning!
Revised Docker (Services in Docker the more convenient way to deliver) Coming soon
Deploy auxiliary services for web sites (Varnish, MongoDB, memcached, and so on) with a click using the revamped Docker integration. Plesk sets up services, and then seamlessly and automatically integrates them with your website.
Plesk Backup Optimizations Available
Significantly reduced free server disk space required for creating and restoring backups in cloud storage
(Google Drive, Amazon S3, FTP, Microsoft One Drive, and so on)
- To restore a single subscription from a full server backup, you now need additional free disk space equal to space occupied by this particular subscription rather than the full server backup.
- To back up the server to cloud storage, you now need additional free disk space equal to space occupied by two subscriptions rather than the whole server.
- Sped up operations on backups stored remotely. For example, backups stored in cloud storage can now be removed four times faster than earlier.
Give Plesk Obsidian a Try
Register as a beta tester below –
We need your valuable feedback to improve the stable release.
What is the Preview build?
The Preview build is the latest publicly available Plesk build. It contains new features and improvements not yet available in the latest officially released Plesk version. To see the list of available changes you can check Change Log
To install the Preview build on your Linux server, run the following command:
sh <(curl http://autoinstall.plesk.com/one-click-installer || wget -O - http://autoinstall.plesk.com/one-click-installer) --tier testing
To install the Preview build on your Windows server, follow these steps:
- Download Plesk Installer to your server