Setting Up VPN Preferences
To set up a VPN connection:
- Go to Extensions > Virtual Private Networking.
- On the Preferences page that opens, specify the following parameters:
- Remote Address, enter the host name or the IP address of the host you want to communicate to. Leave this field blank if you wish the other party to be able to connect to your server from different addresses or if the remote IP address is not known in advance. Note, however, that one server cannot be involved in simultaneous communication with two or more remote hosts.
- Remote UDP port, specify the port on the remote host to which UDP packets from this server will be sent. The default port is 1194. Note that though VPN uses only UDP for the encrypted traffic flow, all IP protocols, including TCP, are supported over the virtual private network. You can leave this field blank if you have not specified the remote address above.
- Local UDP port, your server will listen for incoming VPN traffic on this local UDP port. The default port is 1194. You can leave this field blank if you do not want to allocate a specific port, but in that case you must specify the remote address and port fields above to allow the local host to be the initiating party.
- Local peer address and Remote peer address, two hosts connected by a VPN channel need to have a pair of virtual network interfaces to route the traffic through. You need to assign two IP addresses to them, one for each side of the VPN circuit. These IP addresses should be chosen from some private address spaces and it is important that they should not overlap with any of the IP addresses present within the local networks on either side of the tunnel. These two addresses must differ only in the two least significant bits. You can pick .1 and .2 for the last octets, for example. Note that the default values are only an illustration! Always check the real configuration of your network so that you do not run into IP collision problems.
- Click OK.
Note: The Plesk VPN component is initially disabled. To use the VPN functionality, enable the component by clicking the Enable button.