Defining Properties of Files That Compose the Backup
Defining the properties of the files that will be contained in the backup includes the following:
- Specifying that archives with backup object contents should not be compressed.
- Specifying that a prefix should be added to the names of the backup files.
- Specifying that backup files should be split into parts of the specified size.
By default, Plesk saves backed up content to compressed
.zip archives to save disk space when the backup is stored.
However, restoring backups that contain compressed archives requires
almost twice as much disk space as restoring those with uncompressed
files. If you want to create your backups without compression, use the
-z option in your backup command.
In order to better distinguish files that were created during one backup
session from another,
pleskbackup adds a prefix to the backup file
name. By default, it is
backup, so every backup file name looks like
<ext>. The prefix in names of
the files that compose a particular backup can be customized by using
--prefix option. The option’s value will be added as a prefix to
the names of files of the created backup.
For example, to create a backup of the server mail configuration so that
all files in the backup have the prefix
pleskbackup server --only-mail --configuration --prefix="friday"
pleskbackup utility is capable of splitting backup files into
parts of a particular size, which is extremely useful in cases when the
file size is critical. Such cases could include the following:
- if backups are burnt to DVDs, file size should not exceed approximately 4 Gbytes
- if backups are stored on the FAT32 file system, file size should not exceed approximately 4 Gbytes
- if backups are stored on FTP, the FTP server may have its own restrictions on the size of a single file transferred to the server
To make pleskbackup split the backup files to parts of a particular
size, use the
-s|--split option and specify the required size as the
option value. For details on how to specify the size, refer to the
section Backup Utility Commands and Options. The default value used
pleskbackup if no custom size is specified is 2 Gbytes. The
utility numbers file parts created as a result of a split by adding
numerical suffixes to the file names starting from
For example, to back up a subscription and split backup files into parts of no more than 700 Mbytes:
pleskbackup domains-name example.com --only-hosting --split=700M