If your website accepts customers' sensitive data (such as credit card information, for example), it is recommended to secure the communication to and from your website using an SSL certificate. The benefits of using an SSL certificate are twofold:
- All connections to and from your website are encrypted and cannot be intercepted by a third party.
- An SSL certificate issued for your website confirms your website's validity. This way visitors know that they are indeed browsing your website (as opposed to a malicious website set up by a third party).
Knowing that the website they are browsing is authentic and that their payment information will not be compromised raises the confidence visitors have in your website. For that reason an SSL certificate is all but necessary for an online store, for example.
If you want to secure your website with an SSL certificate, you can do it via Plesk. You can choose any of the following scenarios:
- Secure your website with a certificate you own.
- Secure your website with a self-signed certificate.
- Purchase a certificate from a Certification Authority and secure your website with it.
- Purchase a certificate via Plesk and secure your website with it.
- Secure your website with a shared certificate (Plesk for Windows only).
To manage your SSL certificates, go to Websites & Domains and click SSL Certificates.