Plesk Onyx Licensing
Since Plesk Onyx is provided in three editions, there are three editions of Plesk Onyx license: Web Admin, Web Pro, and Web Host. Each license is available in one of two platform types:
- VPS, fits any virtualization platform: Virtuozzo (containers and VMs), VMware, Xen, Hyper-V etc.
- Dedicated, can be installed on either a VPS or a dedicated server.
With Plesk Onyx, there are no longer any Plesk for Windows and Plesk for Linux licenses. Now, you can install the same license on either a Windows or a Linux server.
Upgrades and downgrades between editions are available only for monthly lease licenses. The following upgrade paths are available:
- From Web Admin to Web Pro or Web Host
- From Web Pro to Web Host
Upgrading is also only possible within a license’s platform type: VPS licenses can be upgraded to VPS licenses, while dedicated licenses can be upgraded only to dedicated ones.
There are the following changes in the Plesk Onyx add-on model:
- There are no Windows or Linux add-ons: add-ons apply to any license (for example, PowerPack).
- Add-ons are issued in VPS and Dedicated types, which affects their price. The type of an add-on must match the parent license’s type (VPS or Dedicated).
- Add-ons are available as a monthly lease only, even if they are bought for a retail (purchased) license.
The following new add-ons are available for Plesk Onyx editions:
|Add-on||Web Admin||Web Pro||Web Host|
|Security Core with complete ModSecurity rules from Atomicorp||Yes||Yes||Yes|
* Add-on is not available for an edition when it is already included in the edition.
If a lower edition license with a paid add-on is upgraded to a higher edition where the add-on is included, the add-on becomes free. If a license with a free add-on is downgraded back to a lower edition where the add-on is not included, the add-on becomes paid again.
Previously, SUS was included in domain features. For Plesk Onyx, the domain limit is part of the license type; therefore SUS for retail (purchased) licenses should be available as a separate feature: 1 year SUS for Plesk (Purchased). SUS is mandatory during the initial purchase.
Plesk Onyx will work with Plesk 10.x/11.x/12.x or later lease licenses. Such licenses will get extra properties enabling Plesk Onyx features when Plesk is upgraded. Which Plesk Onyx features are added to the license depends on the number of domains that this license allows:
|Domain limit on the license||WordPress Toolkit||Security Core||Outgoing Antispam||ServerShield|
|30-300 domains / Unlimited||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
These add-ons will be added free of charge and will remain as such for two years.
Plesk Onyx add-ons (such as Complete Atomic Security rule set for ModSecurity, and so on) cannot be purchased a for Plesk of an earlier version. The license has to be in Plesk Onyx format.
Purchased licenses for earlier versions of Plesk can be upgraded to Plesk Onyx if they have the SUS feature. Otherwise, you need to buy a new Plesk Onyx license when you upgrade to Plesk Onyx.