Defining properties of the files that will be contained in backup includes the following:
- Defining that archives with backup object contents should not be compressed.
- Defining that a prefix should be added to names of the backup files.
- Defining that backup files should be split into parts of the specified size.
By default, Plesk saves backed up content to compressed
archives to save disk space when the backup is stored. However,
restoring backups that contain compressed archives requires almost two
times more disk space than restoring those with uncompressed files. If
you want to create your backups without compression, use the
option in your backup command.
In order to better distinguish files that were created during one backup
session from another,
pleskbackup adds a prefix to backup file name.
By default, it is
backup, so every backup file name looks like
<ext>. The prefix in names of
the files that compose a particular backup can be customized by using
--prefix option. The option’s value will be added as a prefix to
names of files of the created backup.
For example, to create a backup of the server mail configuration so that
all files in backup have prefix
pleskbackup --server --only-mail --configuration --prefix="friday"
pleskbackup utility is capable of splitting backup files into
parts of a particular size, which is vitally useful in cases when the
file size is critical. Such cases can be, for example, the following:
- if backups are burnt to DVDs, file size should not exceed approximately 4 Gbytes
- if backups are stored on the FAT32 file system, file size should not exceed approximately 4 Gbytes
- if backups are stored on FTP, FTP server may have its own restrictions on the size of a single file transferred to the server
To make pleskbackup split the backup files to parts of a particular
size, use the
-s|--split option and specify the required size as the
option value. For details on the format of size specification, refer to
the section Backup Utility Commands and Options. The default value
pleskbackup if no custom size is specified is 2 Gbytes. The
utility numbers file parts created as a result of split by adding
numerical suffixes to the file names starting from
For example, to back up a subscription and split backup files into parts of no more than 700 Mbytes:
pleskbackup --domains-name example.com --only-hosting --split=700M