Mail Migration from Confixx
The model of mail objects is different for Confixx and for Plesk.
In Confixx, each e-mail address can be associated with one or more mailboxes, and each mailbox has an automatically generated name. For example, the third mailbox of the customer web4 will be named web4p3. A user can login to a mailbox by POP3/IMAP/SMTP using the mailbox name as a login name.
In Plesk, an e-mail address can be associated with only one mailbox. A mailbox has no separate name but is just related to an e-mail address. A user can login to a mailbox using the e-mail address as a login name.
When migrating from Confixx, there are two possible modes of mail mapping between mail objects: Default and Short names. In the Default mode, the user will have to use an e-mail address to log in to a mailbox after migration. In the Short names mode, the user will be able to log in to a mailbox using the mailbox name as they used to in Confixx.
For example, if a Confixx user has the e-mail address email@example.com associated with the mailbox web4p3, the behavior of the Plesk Migrator will be the following:
- In the Default mode: After migration, the user in Plesk will have one e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org associated with a mailbox that will contain messages from web4p3. The advantage of this method is that the structure of mail objects in Plesk after migration is simple and can be easily managed. The disadvantage is that the user will have to reconfigure the mail client to use email@example.com to log in to the mailbox instead of web4p3 that they previously used in Confixx.
- In the Short names mode: After migration, the user in Plesk will have the fake e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org and the mail alias email@example.com. The address firstname.lastname@example.org will be associated with a mailbox that will contain messages from web4p3, and the user will be able to log in to the mailbox using the short name, i.e. web4p3, as they used to in Confixx. The advantage of this method is that the previous login name can be used and there is no need to reconfigure the mail client. However, the disadvantage is a more complex structure of mail objects in Plesk.
Note: In the case when an e-mail address is associated with multiple mailboxes in Confixx, the behavior will be more complex; however, the advantages and disadvantages of these two methods are the same.
To enable the Short names mode of mail mapping:
- Start migration from the Plesk user interface: go to Server Management > Extensions > Plesk Migrator > Start a New Migration, specify the IP address and credentials of the Confixx server, click Prepare Migratio n, and wait till Plesk Migrator shows the list of domains to be migrated. Find more details in Migrating via the Plesk Interface.
- Login to the target server by SSH.
- Change the current directory to
<SESSION-ID>is a unique identifier of the session, you have started.
- Open the
config.inifile and add the string
mail-mapping = "shortnames"to the
[confixx] ... mail-mapping = "shortnames" ...
- Continue migration from the Plesk user interface.